The past few weeks I have been working/playing around with the MailPoet plugin, and I have to say it’s pretty nice for sending to a micro or small mailing list.
The MailPoet plugin is really pretty good, and yes you can use this instead of MailChimp or Aweber. The really good thing about this is that they have a free version as well. What I really love about this plugin is that the FREE option has these great features:
- Sign-Up Widget: The plugin’s sign-up widget can be configured and ready to go in only two clicks.
- Single or Double Opt-In: You have the option to add subscribers to your list immediately, or require an email confirmation (which may be required for certain countries).
- Display Optimization: MailPoet has made a point to display your email uniformly for users, no matter what email service or device is used to read your newsletter.
- Sending Options: Your emails can be sent through your web host, Gmail, or any SMTP, such as SendGrid, Amazon SES, and Mandril.
- List Segmenting: You can segment your mailing list according to opened, unopened, or clicked variables.
- Up to 2,000 Subscribers: The free plugin allows you to add up to 2,000 subscribers to receive your newsletters.
- Support: This plugin features rather extensive documentation. The MailPoet knowledge base has over 80 in-depth articles.
The premium version extends the features of the plugin quite a bit:
- More than 2,000 Subscribers: The premium plugin removes the subscriber cut-off, allowing you to send to more subscribers.
- In-Depth Stats: You get a detailed stats dashboard for newsletters and subscribers and the ability to see stats for individual subscribers.
- Automated List Cleaning: The premium version adds automatic bounce handling.
- Spam Score Test: You can test the likelihood of each of your newsletter drafts to end up in a subscriber’s spam folder with this test. You’ll get feedback on how to improve your score, too.
- Improved Deliverability: The premium plugin lets you validate your emails with a DKIM signature, improving the odds your mail gets to the intended recipient (not marked as spam.)
- Priority Support: MailPoet offers its premium license-holders priority support.
Even with the free version you can send up to 2000 subscribers. This is excellent if you are just starting off and Ill tell you why. You just started blogging, and it has taken you the last few months to get a grip of WordPress, and now you want the holy grail of blogging “a newsletter sign up”, so now you have a choice – Do you spend the next month or so trying to figure Aweber or Mail Chimp out OR do you install Mail Poet??
Yeah, just install Mail Poet.
What’s really great for small businesses and the less technically inclined is that you don’t need any sort of dedicated mail server to make MailPoet work for you. If you’re going to be sending to a relatively small subscriber group, you can actually sync a Gmail account from which all your messages will be sent.
But here’s the real gem of MailPoet: Autoresponders
Yes, I said autoresponders. While most email marketing service providers make you subscribe and pay monthly or yearly fees to use autoresponders (email drip campaigns), MailPoet allows you to send daily emails to your email list with the free plugin. This gives you an opportunity to test your lead magnets, and perfect your drip campaign before you commit to the subscription or upgrade.
MailPoet lets you set up three types of automated emails. Automatic emails can be triggered when:
- a visitor subscribes to your list, or
- when you add a new WordPress user or
- new content is added (a new blog post, perhaps).
The email can be sent immediately or held back any number of hours, days, or weeks. For WordPress users, automatic emails can be triggered for specific roles.
MailPoet is a an awesome companion to your existing email marketing service provider.
Just because you choose MailPoet doesn’t mean that you can’t use another (additional) email system. MailPoet subscriber lists easily export from the system and can be imported into any email system that accepts Excel spreadsheets or CSV files.
Personally, I think that MailPoet is a great choice for micro email list and small email list owners. Download it today!